2020 Dates Available
Please note that the only personal retreat dates open for 2020 are:
• Saturday June 13th - Sunday June 21st, 2020 - Open
• Saturday Sept 5th - Sunday Sept 13th - Open
• Returning Participant Arrival Days: If you have attended retreat at the Center before, you can arrive on any day between the hours of 12:30 noon and 2:30pm*, and settle yourself in. We will let you know your sleeping arrangements by email prior to arrival.
• If you have not visited the Samadhi Center before, we ask that you arrive between 12:30 noon and 2:30PM* on the Saturday or the Monday. This is necessary in order to give you a tour of the building and logistical intro talk.
* The arrival time falls during the lunch break for those participants who are in retreat. Please do not arrive outside of this window of time, as it can be very disruptive for those using the zendo for formal practice.
Guidelines and Important Information
• If you are coming for a personal meditation retreat we require a minimum of 2 nights.
• Personal retreatants are expected to maintain silence at all times in order to honour the needs of other meditators on the property. Talking is allowed during one-on-one meetings with facilitators, and any scheduled group discussions.
• Personal retreats are for meditation. Retreatants are strongly encouraged to establish and maintain the self-directed daily meditation schedule as much as possible. We have created guidelines to make the personal retreat environment optimal for meditation.
To gain maximum benefit, personal retreatants are encouraged to focus on meditation and self inquiry practice throughout each day, whether that is in the Zendo, in your cabin or room, or any other silent meditation or self-inquiry practice. Continuous practice on and off the cushion has a cumulative effect and leads to deep rewiring and realization of one's true nature beyond the thinking and sensng self structure.
The Center is not a place to come if you are simply looking for a relaxing getaway or holiday. The Samadhi Center is a place for people to do the inner development work required to purify themselves of conditioned patterns, to realize their true nature and to work seriously on their path.
Your personal retreat is self-directed, however if other participants are sharing the space with you then you will be expected to observe the times designated for cooking and to avoid making noise in the building during sitting periods.
Typical daily schedule:
6:00am-8:00am - Scheduled Sit
8:00am-9:30am - Breakfast (kitchen open)
10:30am-12:30pm - Scheduled Sit
12:30pm-2:00pm - Lunch (kitchen open)
- Scheduled Sit
5:30pm-7:00pm - Dinner (kitchen open
7:00pm-9:00pm - Scheduled Sit
Participants during personal retreats are responsible for bringing and preparing their own food. Organizing a plan for simple meals before you arrive will help your retreat unfold with less disruption. The kitchen is fully equipped and will provide some basic food supplies such as spices and cooking oils. Please note that we do not have a freezer available in the Center, but there is a freezer elsewhere on the property that can be used if required.
For those staying longer than five days, arrangements can be made for a member of our support team to go do a grocery shop in town for you if needed. To avoid disrupting the meditation practice of other participants, meal prep, eating and clean up are done during designated meal times: 8:00am-9:30am, 12:30pm-2:00pm and 5:30pm-7:00pm.
Keep your meals simple. Since many people will be using the kitchen, elaborate meals are not recommended.
Support and Other Services
While there may not always be a Samadhi Center support team member in the Center, there will be one available by phone at all times in the event of emergency.
Private one-on-one interviews are available several times a week with Daniel Schmidt or Tanya Mahar if requested. These meetings serve as an opportunity to ask questions about your meditation practice or any other topic that relates to the path to awakening. Also some groups may need more guidance in which case we are happy to provide a one hour "group process" (an opportunity to speak to the group about the meditation practice) on an as-needed basis.There is no extra fee for these services. Dana (donation) is greatly appreciated. There will be a sign-up sheet with times available for one-on-one interviews, and group process meetings will be arranged as needed..
Other modalities may available, including shamanic coaching with Henry Gordon, Thai massage and cranial sacral therapy with Ardea, and sound healing sessions with Dan and Tanya. There is an additional fee for these private sessions, details of which will be provided on request.
Booking and Fees
Once you submit an application form we will advise you as to whether the dates you are requesting and particular accommodations are available. After your application form is reviewed we may be contacting you to arrange a brief phone/skype or zoom meeting in order to address any further questions in person and ensure that the Center can offer you the space and experience you are looking for. Once we're all good to go, we'll move on to request and process payment.
Upon approval we will send you a request for payment to hold your requested accommodation.
Personal Retreat Rates:
• Cabin Private $85 per night.
• Cabin Shared with a friend $65 per night.
• Shared Dorm in the Center (maximum 3 people) $65 per night.
• Private Room in the Center $85 per night.
In the event you need to cancel your attendance at a personal retreat you have paid for, as long as it is more than 48 hours in advance of your arrival date we will provide a 100% refund. If you cancel after that we will refund the full amount minus a $35 administration fee as staff will have been employed to prepare the space for you.